This Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Is Our Fave Weeknight Meal
When it comes to comfort food, mac and cheese always hits the spot. But traditional mac and cheese recipes can be heavy on the calories and fat. That’s why we’ve come up with a healthier version that you can feel good about indulging in any night of the week. And the best part? It’s made in a slow cooker, making it a breeze to get a delicious meal on the table with minimal effort. So how do we make this slow cooker mac and cheese healthier?
First, we swap out the regular pasta for whole wheat or one of these alternative pastas. This simple switch adds fiber and nutrients to the dish without compromising on taste. Next, we use reduced-fat cheese instead of full-fat cheese. You still get that creamy, cheesy goodness, but with fewer calories and less saturated fat.
Another way to boost the nutrition of this slow cooker mac and cheese is by adding veggies. You can throw in some finely chopped spinach, broccoli, or even cauliflower. Not only do these veggies add color and flavor, but they also provide essential vitamins and minerals. Plus, it’s an excellent way to sneak in some extra servings of vegetables.
Using a slow cooker for this recipe is a game-changer. It allows the flavors to meld together beautifully and creates a creamy texture without the need for excessive amounts of butter or cream. Plus, the slow cooker does all the work for you, so you can set it and forget it until dinnertime. Give this slow cooker mac and cheese a try, and it might just become your new favorite go-to dinner!
Remember to adjust the cooking time based on your slow cooker’s settings and to taste-test the mac and cheese before serving. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces of whole wheat or gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of finely chopped veggies (spinach, broccoli, or cauliflower)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In the slow cooker, combine the cooked macaroni, shredded cheese, milk, broth, chopped veggies, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 2-3 hours, or until the cheese is melted and the mixture is creamy.
- Stir the mac and cheese well before serving. If desired, sprinkle some extra shredded cheese on top for an extra cheesy touch.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious and healthier slow cooker mac and cheese!