The Best Healthy Breakfast Casserole Recipe For Feeding a Crowd
A healthy breakfast casserole is the perfect dish when you’re feeding a crowd, especially on a special occasion like Christmas. Not only is it delicious and satisfying, but it also allows you to incorporate a variety of nutritious ingredients into one convenient dish. Whether you’re hosting a holiday brunch or simply want to prepare a nourishing meal for a large group, a healthy breakfast casserole is a fantastic option.
When it comes to creating a healthy breakfast casserole, there are several key ingredients to consider. First and foremost, opt for lean protein sources such as turkey sausage, chicken breast, or tofu. These protein-rich ingredients will keep you feeling full and satisfied throughout the day. Additionally, be sure to include plenty of vegetables like spinach, bell peppers, and onions. These colorful veggies not only add a burst of flavor but also provide essential nutrients and fiber.
To make your breakfast casserole even healthier, choose whole grain bread or tortillas instead of refined white bread. Whole grains are higher in fiber and offer more nutritional value, making them a better choice for a balanced meal. You can also use low-fat dairy products such as skim milk or reduced-fat cheese to reduce the overall fat content of your casserole.
- 8 large eggs
- 1 pound of turkey sausage, crumbled and cooked
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and skim milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked turkey sausage, chopped spinach, diced bell pepper, diced onion, and whole wheat tortilla pieces to the bowl. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Slice into squares and serve your delicious and healthy breakfast casserole to your hungry crowd.