The great eight
This holiday season, we are gifting goodness all around: gifts that are good for the recipient, good for the environment and just plain good to give. We’ve done all the research, tasting and testing; the rest is up to you.
1. Back to the Roots Mushroom Farm ($20). Give your favorite city-dweller this fun farm-in-a box so that they can grow their own vitamin C-rich oyster mushrooms at home. The USDA certified organic kit is made from organic recycled waste, including corncobs and sawdust, and it’s guaranteed to yield at least two harvests.
2. Vita Organics ($55 for 12 bars): Spread cheer with a bar of 72% organic chocolate made with top-notch raw and organic ingredients. Pro-tip: Buy a case of 12 bars and you’ll be covered for all those last-minute panic gifts.
4. Wild for Wild Seafood Pack ($104): Send a heaping box that includes two whole wild New Zealand John Dory, two whole wild New Zealand Thai Snappers and two pounds of wild New Jersey Diver Scallops. You’re not just sending sustainable seafood; you’re sending dinner for nights to come.
5. Frank Coffee Body Scrub (from $15): Let’s just say it’s a very good thing this scrub comes with a cheeky “Do Not Eat” warning. The delicious smelling concoction of sweet almond oil, orange essence and ground Robusta coffee beans is hard to resist.
6. Urban Sproule Salt (from $8): Add some flavor to a cook’s spice drawer with some extra-special sea salts that are dried in the sun on a NYC rooftop. Flavors like cave-aged cheddar and lemon verbena are sure to get taste buds (and conversation) going.
7. Catskill Provisions Honey Whiskey ($40): Stock the bar of your favorite tippler with this New York rye-and barley-based whiskey sweetened with late-summer Catskills honey. With a warm, spicy aroma and a kick of ginger, it’s what every winter drink craves.
8. Cecil & Merl Gluten-Free Cheesecake (from $60): Ship one of these lemon-ricotta beauties to your favorite harried hostess and she will be grateful through 2015 and beyond. The filler-free cake is packed with rBST/hormone-free crème fraîche, ricotta and whole milk cream cheese and wrapped in a brown-rice based, gluten-free graham cracker crust.
Good food brings people together. So do good emails.