Blow the horns, beat the drums: Today is a banner day for great cookbooks, with two new indispensable clean-eating guides hitting the stores.
Hold onto your cast iron skillet, coconut oil and coconut milk: things are about to get seriously delicious.
In My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season ($30), the Copenhagen-based Sarah Britton, a holistic nutritionist and the blogger behind My New Roots reveals 100 new vegetarian recipes, most of which are also vegan, many are gluten-free and some are 100% raw. We love how the book is a mix of simple weeknight meals (think Thai-style coconut soup with zucchini noodles) and food “projects” that you can tackle on a weekend, like making ghee, growing your own sprouts or DIY-ing cashew yogurt.
Over in California, husband-and-wife team Hugh and Sara Forte of the Sprouted Kitchen blog have a similarly resplendent style, full of seasonal produce and whole grains, and with the addition of small bits of animal protein here and there. In their new book, The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share ($25), the two tap into our desire to eat everything from one vessel, whether serving guests a Caribbean bowl with jerk-seasoned whitefish or spooning up curried sweet potato soup with crispy black lentils on the couch while binging on Netflix.
Both books emphasize the importance of making simple healthy choices daily and the wonders of gathering people around a table to eat. With that in mind, we’re sharing the Forte’s recipe for a tropical “smoothie bowl” spiked with anti-inflammatory turmeric (an ingredient Britton also features on her blog). The idea takes a smoothie from something you gulp down on the run to a rainbow-hued bowl (frozen yogurt-like in its thickness) that is gorgeous enough to serve for a weekend breakfast at home with friends.
- 2 cups frozen mango
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 2 bananas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons bee pollen (optional)
- 1 cup crisped rice cereal
- ¾ cup toasted coconut flakes
- ¾ cup toasted, chopped macadamia nuts
- Blend the mango, pineapple, coconut water, orange juice, coconut milk, and turmeric until very smooth. Distribute evenly among four bowls. Cut the banana into thin slices. Garnish each bowl with portions of banana slices, bee pollen, crisp rice cereal, coconut flakes, and macadamia nuts.