It’s summer and the farmer’s markets are brimming with tons of fresh zucchini. Try this quick, delicious recipe for a fresh, healthy meal.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 pounds small zucchini, striped zucchini or yellow summer squash, sliced into ⅓-inch-thick rounds, divided
- ½ cup minced tender parsley stems, divided
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest, divided
- 2-3 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes, divided
- ¾ cup Pomi strained tomatoes, simmered until reduced by half
- Heat large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil, then garlic; sauté 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Add half the zucchini and half the parsley; season well with salt. Sauté until zucchini is softened but not browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon orange zest and half the red pepper flakes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and heat until hot; add remaining zucchini and parsley. Season with salt and sauté until the zucchini is softened but not browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon orange zest and red pepper flakes; add to zucchini in large bowl. Toss gently.
- Add tomato sauce to zucchini; mix gently. Stir in remaining tablespoon oil.
- Let stand 10 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving.