- 8 to 10 pounds watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup of juice from Meyer or regular lemons
- 1/4 cup organic whole cane sugar or palm sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh whey (CP Note: Purchase a quart of organic whole-milk yogurt and strain through cheesecloth overnight in the fridge. Use resulting whey in recipe.)
- 1 tablespoons unrefined sea salt
- 3 cups water
- In a blender or food processor, blend the watermelon chunks until smooth (working in batches if necessary). You should have 3 cups of pulpy juice.
- Gently bruise 1⁄2 cup of basil leaves with a mortar and pestle to release their oils. Squeeze 1 cup of Meyer lemon juice.
- Place the watermelon juice, lemon juice, basil leaves, sugar, whey and salt in a sterilized 2-quart glass jar. Cover with the water, stir and close the lid tightly.
- Let sit at room temperature for 3 days. Unscrew the lid daily to allow a little carbonation to escape, then replace the lid.
- After 3 days, chill and serve. The watermelon cooler can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.