Cherries are one of summer’s sweetest gifts, but it’s the sour version of this stone fruit that you really want to add to your diet.
Besides having some of the highest levels of antioxidants of any food, sour cherries offer a rare nutritional source of melatonin, acting as a natural sleep aid. One study found it to be on par with valerian, an herbal supplement, in helping insomnia sufferers get some rest. Sweet cherries don’t have this much sway, especially when it comes to sleepless nights.
You can find sour cherries fresh this time of year, and they are available year-round frozen, dried or in juices. Slightly smaller and usually brighter in color than sweet cherries, the sours are usually relegated to pie fillings or jams loaded with sugar. But we’ve got a healthier fix for enjoying this healthy superfruit.
Swap an evening cocktail with this mocktail recipe that will help you get to sleep rather than keeping you up all night. Or if you’re not one to shake your own drink, try a tart cherry flavored kombucha, combining two sour treats in one bottle.
- ½ ounce tart cherry juice concentrate
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, from 1 lime
- 4 ounces seltzer
- Garnish: lime slice or twist
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the cherry juice concentrate, lime juice and seltzer.
- Shake until well chilled for about 15 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with the lime slice or twist and serve.