We’re big fans of GreenSquare Tavern in Chelsea. Here’s chef John Marsh’s recipe for butternut squash soup—perfect for a cold winter day.
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into one inch dice
- 1 lb. sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut into one inch dice
- 1 lb. white onion cut into one inch dice
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 6 cups filtered water
- Over a medium flame in a large stainless steel pot sauté the onions in the coconut oil.
- When the onions are soft add the yam, butternut squash and the water. Bring all to a simmer an cook until the solids are tender; 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Carefully pass all in a blender and return to the pot.
- Season with grey sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Some like a couple of scrapes of nutmeg to season the soup as well.