Recipe by Amy Sherman
This breakfast bowl is rich and delicious enough to enjoy for dessert. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, but it’s worth it: It’s lower in calories and carbohydrates, higher in potassium and four times higher in fiber than white rice.
- 2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 medium bananas, sliced thinly
- Raw honey, optional
- Combine the cooked brown rice, coconut milk and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil then simmer over low heat until the porridge is thick and creamy, about 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the almonds in a dry skillet and heat over low heat for about 2 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- Top the porridge with almonds and sliced bananas. Drizzle with honey, if desired.