Use any combination of these vegetables to reach 4 cups. Grate them using the grating blade in a food processor, or by hand on a box grater.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2-3 broccoli stems, trimmed
- 1 small sweet potato (peeled) or 2 small potatoes (any variety, scrubbed well, unpeeled)
- ½ cup turnips, peeled and trimmed
- 4 cups shredded vegetables (see note)
- Kosher salt
- 3 scallions or ½ small onion, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup unflavored almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. cayenne, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado oil or ghee, for frying
- Place shredded vegetables in a colander, toss with 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and let stand for 10 minutes to drain. Rinse and squeeze well in a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- Transfer shredded vegetables to a medium bowl and add scallions, cilantro, chickpea flour, garlic, eggs, almond milk, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne (if desired). Season with ½ to 1 tsp. salt and ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Have ready a paper-towel-lined plate. Warm 4 Tbsp. avocado oil or ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Spoon heaping tablespoons of fritter mixture into the warm oil, spread into 3-inch patties and cook for about 5 minutes, until deep golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer. Place on lined plate to drain. Serve warm.