Although we don’t recommend wine for everyday use, for special occasions it’s okay. Other times, substitute stock.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup/80 g cooked brown basmati rice
- 2 pounds/905 g organic ground chicken, ideally dark or thigh meat
- 1/2 cup/30 g chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup/45 g brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup/60 mL dry white wine (see note)
- 2 organic, pasture-raised, or antibiotic-free eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C. Coat a 9 by 13-inch/25 by 35 cm baking pan with the oil.
- Place the rice in a food processor and process to finely chop, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and add chicken, parsley, flour, wine, eggs, salt, fennel, and pepper, gently mixing until well combined.
- With damp hands, roll the mixture into 1 ½-inch/4 cm balls, arranging them in the prepared baking pan. Bake until an internal thermometer in a meatball reads 165°F/75°C, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.