To roast nuts, preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread nuts on a baking sheet and roast 8 minutes, until toasted. Let cool before chopping.
- 1¼ cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, such as cranberries or sour cherries, diced (quartered) apricots and dark raisins or currants
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup roasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (see Note)
- Place the rice in a 1-quart saucepan; add cool water to cover, rub the rice with your fingers to wash it and drain through a strainer. Repeat two times—by the third rinse the water should be clear. Return the rice to the pot and add 1¼ cups cold water. Bring the rice and water just to a full boil, cover and reduce the heat to very low; let cool, undisturbed, for 25 to 28 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and add the fruit; cover the pot with the lid and let stand 5 to 10 minutes to plump the fruit. Toss in the butter and season with salt. Sprinkle the nuts on top just before serving.