Risotto may feel like something you’d eat at a fancy restaurant in the Before Times. And if you’ve ever googled “risotto recipe” you’ll know that it can be kind of a pain to make at home. You see, this traditional Italian rice dish requires constant focus and lots of stirring — something that many of us have in short supply after a long WFH day, with or without Zoom schooling with the littles. The solution: This creamy (and dairy-free!) shrimp risotto recipe, which leans on a smart shortcut.
But First: What Is Risotto?
Risotto is a type of starchy, medium-grain rice that’s prepared using a low-and-slow cooking method. The liquid (often broth) is added slowly, about a quarter of a cup at a time. As the rice cooks and absorbs the liquid, the starches break down and it becomes super-creamy, without the need for cream. Although, we should add, butter and cheese will make it even creamier. The result is something that’s greater than the sum of its parts, a simple rice dish that feels like so much more.
The Easiest, Fastest Way to Make Risotto
Thanks to RightRice’s new line of risottos and this simple recipe, it’s now possible to make risotto on a weeknight. RightRice makes easy work of risotto with their fast-cooking, plant–based version. Just follow these easy steps: Bring the water to a boil, add the risotto, reduce heat, and cook at a gentle boil uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the rice from getting stuck to the bottom. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 7 minutes. Stir and enjoy.
Another advantage of RightRice? It’s packed with protein and fiber and has fewer carbs than traditional risotto.
For this risotto recipe, we’ve paired Creamy Parmesan RightRice Risotto with sauteed shrimp, fresh cherry tomatoes, and herbs for a super-simple, super-tasty dinner that’s ready in 25 minutes. You’re welcome! Or should we say Prego?
Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Sauteed Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 package Creamy Parmesan Style RightRice Risotto
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- Fresh basil
- Prepare the Creamy Parmesan Style Risotto. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add Risotto, reduce heat, and cook at a gentle boil uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 7 minutes.
- While the Risotto sits, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook on one side for 3 minutes and then turn over and cook for another 3 minutes until the shrimp is nice and pink.
- To serve, divide the Creamy Parmesan Style Risotto into two bowls and top with the cooked shrimp and fresh sliced tomatoes. Garnish with fresh basil.