Fresh coconut milk lasts up to five days in the refrigerator and can last up to a week if sweetened with honey.
When making this recipe, adjust the ratio of water to coconut according to desired consistency. The less water you use, the thicker and more cream-like the milk will be.
- 2 cups shredded coconut (dried or fresh)
- or 1 cup young coconut meat
- 4 cups water (more or less*)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Scrapings from ½ vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar or coconut honey or 2 dates (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lecithin (optional, to prevent separation)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Run through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids.