Keep refrigerated in an airtight container with a piece of plastic pressed directly over the top for up to 5 days.
- 1 pound cardoons (stalks cut into 1-inch by 2-inch pieces)
- 1 small, finely chopped garlic clove
- 1/3 cup toasted, finely chopped pine nuts
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2-3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Trim and peel 1 pound cardoons and cut the stalks into 1-inch by 2-inch pieces.
- Place cardoon in a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain well and pat them dry.
- In a food processor, combine chopped garlic clove and toasted pine nuts.
- Add the cardoons, flat-leaf parsley leaves, freshly grated lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend, scraping down the side of the bowl, until it becomes a coarse puree.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan. Blend again until incorporated and creamy (it will not be completely smooth).
- Blend in up to 2 more tablespoons olive oil. Add up to 1 more teaspoon lemon juice and more salt and pepper to taste to reach desired consistency.