This recipe is adapted from The Clean Plates Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- organic neutral-flavored high-heat cooking oil, such as grapeseed, as needed
- 2/3 c. grass-fed organic plain yogurt or kefir
- 1/2 c. coconut nectar
- 1/4c. unsweetened or homemade organic pumpkin purée (try the simple pumpkin cooking instructions here, or use instructions from Diane Piazza*)
- 1 large organic, pasture-raised or antibiotic-free egg
- 1/2 small apple, cored, sliced thinly, then slices cut in half crosswise
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, combine the wheat bran and 1/2 c. boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Coat twelve standard-size muffin cups with oil. Set the flour mixture and muffin pan aside.
- Add the yogurt, coconut nectar, pumpkin purée and egg to the bran mixture, stirring to thoroughly combine. Add the flour mixture, stirring until just shy of combined. Add the apple, stirring just until combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups to slightly rounded over the top. Bake until tops are browned and set, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and return them to the rack to cool thoroughly.