Recipe reprinted with permission from Bowls of Goodness by Nina Olsson, photography by Nina Olsson. Published by Kyle Books.
- Basic vegetable broth
- Mix of root vegetables like celery, carrot, and leek, washed and chopped onions
- Water, to cover
- Next-level vegetable broth
- Add-ins to the basic broth
- Handful of dried mushrooms
- Roasted vegetables (squash and root vegetables like beets, potato, carrot, parsnip, onions)
- Bay leaves
- Makrut lime leaves
- Cover the vegetables with water. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Let the broth simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon. Filter the broth through a fine sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth.
- Freeze the broth in tightly sealed containers until ready to use. It keeps for at least a month in the freezer.