Pretty in green on the inside and out. Tender broccoli and fresh veggie layers add to the flavorful kale pesto before you roll these up for your first bite.
Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
- For Kale Pesto:
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1 cup kale, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For Wrap:
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 2 spinach tortillas
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 6 ounces spinach
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled hempseed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels
- Kale Pesto: Place the cashews, kale, garlic, and salt in a small food processor. Process for about 30 seconds. Add the nutritional yeast and oil and process a few more seconds until well blended. Set aside.
- Assembly: Add water to a medium saucepan with a steamer insert and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli to the insert and steam over boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from steamer and set aside.
- Lay out the spinach tortillas. Divide the kale pesto between the two tortillas and spread evenly, leaving about 1 inch around all edges. Divide the remaining ingredients in half and lay out each half next to each other and down the length of each tortilla.
- Start to roll up snugly, without tearing the tortilla. Cut each tortilla in half and serve.