Recipe by Dana Cowin, Editor in Chief, Food & Wine.
From The New Greenmarket Cookbook by Gabrielle Langholtz. Reprinted with permission from Da Capo Lifelong, © 2014.
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Four ½-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- ½ pound sugar snap peas, ends trimmed and strings discarded
- 2 ½ tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup snipped pea shoots
- 3 large radishes, cut into thin matchsticks
- About ⅓ cup crushed red pepper, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk, whip the ricotta with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill pan. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until toasted but still chewy in the middle, about 2 minutes. Rub the toasts with the garlic clove and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare an ice water bath. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the snap peas until bright green, about 1 minute. Transfer the snap peas to the ice bath to cool. Drain and pat dry, then thinly slice lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar with the shallot, mustard, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the snap peas, pea shoots, and radishes; season with salt and pepper; and toss to coat. Spread the whipped ricotta on the toasts and top with the snap pea slaw. Garnish with crushed red pepper and serve.