Add a few tablespoons to your breakfast, lunch or dinner to give them some Balinese spice.
- 225 g shallots, thinly sliced rounds
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
- 130 g lemongrass, white parts only thinly sliced
- 35 g red thai bird chilies, seeded and julianned
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice, fresh
- 1 Tbsp. shrimp paste
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, warmed
- sea salt to taste
- Place all ingredients except coconut oil in a mixing bowl, and toss well. Add the coconut oil and salt to taste. Sambal should be served at room temperature. Will keep for 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.