Vary this recipe by using different combinations of citrus juice, herbs, and nuts.
Sautéed Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Shallots and Almonds
- 1 pound/455 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, outer leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium-size shallots, sliced thinly (about 1 cup/100 g)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 or 2 lemons)
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup/25 g sliced raw almonds, toasted, divided
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Use a food processor fitted with a slicing disk to thinly slice the Brussels sprouts. (Alternatively, slice thinly by hand or with a mandoline.) Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, dill, and 3 tablespoons of the almonds, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or plates, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of almonds, and serve.