The roasted vegetable mixture keeps, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
- 2 or 3 small beets, plus 3 cups beet greens, washed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 apple, unpeeled, sliced into eighths
- 2 small turnips
- 2 cups sliced carrots, cut into ½-inch coins
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon capers in brine, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 to 4 eggs
- Fleur de sel for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Put the beets, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and ⅛ teaspoon salt on a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap thoroughly. Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the apple, turnips, and carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and the rosemary. Place on a sheet and roast beside the beets until browned, 15 to 20 minutes longer, and the beets are fork-tender. While warm, but not hot, rub the skin off the beets with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Slice the beets.
- When everything is roasted, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the garlic in a large sauté pan over medium-high until browned and fragrant. Discard the garlic. Add the beet greens and capers and sauté until wilted. Add the roasted vegetables and sauté until heated through. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Remove from the heat, toss with mustard and parsley, and set aside.
- When it comes to frying the eggs, you may need to either work in batches or have two pans going at once. Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Crack 2 eggs into a small bowl and gently slide them into the butter. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are runny, about 2 minutes. When ready, give the pan a gentle shake to loosen the eggs.
- Meanwhile, mound the roasted vegetables onto two plates. Slide the eggs on the vegetables, and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Repeat with any remaining butter and eggs.