We’ve all heard of fruit skewers, but have you heard of fruit and marinated tofu skewers? All are grilled on a stick to make the prettiest and freshest finger food around.
Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed (page 17), and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 pineapple, chopped into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil, for grilling
- Place the tofu cubes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and chili powder together and pour over tofu. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Parboil the sweet potato chunks for 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the ends of the stems. If some of the mushrooms are large, cut into halves or thirds.
- Skewer the tofu, sweet potato, pineapple, red and yellow bell peppers, and mushrooms onto each skewer.
- Brush grill or grill pan with oil and set to medium-high heat. Grill skewered vegetables and fruit until there are grill marks. Flip and grill the other side.