Recipe reprinted from Gluten-Free Girl Every Day by Shauna James Ahern. Copyright © 2013 by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- 4 large lemons (organic is best, since you will be eating the peel)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (CP suggests palm sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, toasted
- 1 small bay leaf
- Preparing the lemons: Scrub the lemons with water. Take the ends off. Slice the lemons lengthwise, in thirds. Take out the seeds. Cut up the lemons into 1-inch pieces.
- Combining the ingredients: Toss together the salt, sugar, toasted cinnamon, toasted coriander, and the bay leaf. Add the lemons, making sure to include the juice, and mix up everything together.
- Put the lemon mixture into an airtight container. Let them sit for at least 3 hours before using.