If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can make this in a food processor.
- 1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios (or other nuts such as pine nuts)
- 1 pound fresh shelled and peeled fava beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned Great Northern beans (or white beans)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Blanch 1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios (or other nuts) in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Drain in a strainer and immediately rinse with cold water.
- Place in a clean cloth towel and rub together vigorously to detach the thin brown membrane.
- Peel away any membrane that sticks.
- Toast the pistachios in a 325-degree oven until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Blanch 1 pound fresh shelled and peeled fava beans for 1 minute.
- Drain in a strainer and immediately rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Grind 1 clove garlic and finely chopped onion to a paste in a mortar and pestle.
- Add pistachios and grind until you obtain a rough paste.
- Add fava beans and grind to a paste. Add 1/2 cup Great Northern beans (or white beans) and grind to a paste.
- Work in parsley and extra-virgin olive oil or more as needed to taste.
- Season to taste with salt. Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.