You can toss all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend, if you prefer that to hand mashing. However, the jam will be less chunky this way. Feel free to add other flavors to the jam, like fresh herbs (chopped thyme, basil or mint would be nice), or a splash of vanilla extract or balsamic vinegar.
This is a jam that must be refrigerated, not one that you can leave in your pantry shelf for months. It will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 weeks.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled, chopped
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chia seeds, preferably white
- In a nonaluminum bowl, using a potato masher or fork, combine berries, lemon juice, honey and salt and mash, until fruit is pulpy and partly broken down, about 30 seconds. (if it’s too tart for you, you can always add a little more honey.)
- Add in chia seeds and stir to combine. Transfer to a clean jar, cover and refrigerate. The jam will thicken as it gets colder.