Recipe reprinted with permission from Perfect Plates by John Whaite, Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Helen Cathcart.
- 200g soba noodles
- 100g miso paste
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 6 king scallops
- Olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Coarse black pepper
- For the soba noodles, it’s probably best to follow the packet instructions to cook them, which is probably along the lines of: plunge into a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside until needed.
- To make the sauce, simply stir together the miso paste, lime juice and honey in a bowl. Have this handy at the hob.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the scallops to the pan. Cook them for a minute on each side, then throw in the sauce and stir to coat.
- When cooking scallops don’t try to yank them off the bottom of the pan; when they’re ready to be flipped, they will allow you to turn them.
- Pile the noodles onto a large plate and top with the cooked scallops and sauce, adding a pinch of salt and pepper.