We do the kale raw when we make it at Kripalu. The quantity we make has to puree longer and ends up finer. The small quantity seems to do better slightly blanched in a mini processor.
- 3 C chopped lacinata or curly kale
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- ¼ c walnuts, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon & 1 Tbsp of its juice
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 6 T xvoo
- 1 T water
- Place kale in a medium sauce pan. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Place a lid on the pan and bring to a boil cook kale for 3 minutes while stirring. Remove kale and run under cold water until cooled. Drain through a fine mesh strainer and press out any excess liquid.
- Place walnuts in a small sauté pan and toast for 3 -5 minutes over low to medium heat until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Place all ingredients into a small food processor or blender. Mix until almost a puree but still chunky stopping and scraping down sides periodically.