Recipe taken from The New Vegan by Aine Carlin, published by Kyle Books. Photography by Nassima Rothacker.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- thumb-size piece of fresh ginger
- 1 scotch bonnet
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice of ½ lime
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a food processor or mini blender and process until coarse but spreadable.
- Remove the leaves from around the cauliflower, but don’t remove the bulb at the bottom, as this is what will keep your steaks intact. Halve the cauliflower and, working from the cut side out, slice each steak around ¾-inch thick… you will probably only get two full steaks from each half but you can roast the remaining florets in the same way.
- Generously brush the steaks with the marinade. If you want to do this ahead of time, you can leave them to marinate in the fridge until you need them.
- Place the steaks on a roasting pan and loosely cover with foil. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the foil for another 10 minutes, turning once.
- Heat a grill pan to medium-high heat and finish the steaks off in the pan to mark/sear on both sides. Serve with your chosen accompaniment.