Chill a metal mixing bowl and whisk or beaters from an electric mixer. Open the coconut cream and carefully spoon out the firm, thickened cream with as little excess liquid as possible. Place the cream in the cold bowl and beat until thick, creamy and smooth, adding a splash of vanilla and/or maple syrup or honey, if desired. (Though it’s perfectly luscious without anything added.) Use immediately. Cover and refrigerate the leftover liquid and use in a smoothie.
- For Crust:
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons ghee, melted and cooled
- For Filling:
- 1 15-oz. can pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (shake well before measuring)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons speculaas spice blend or pumpkin pie spice
- Generous pinch of salt
- Topping: Freshly whipped organic cream or whipped coconut cream
- To Make Crust: Preheat oven to 325ºF. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and ghee until well mixed. Press evenly into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until beginning to turn golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool while you make filling.
- To Make Filling: In a large bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients and whisk by hand (or with an electric mixer with whisk attachment) until smooth and well mixed. Pour into pie crust and bake until just set around edges but still slightly soft and jiggly in center and golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate until cold and set, at least 3 hours.