If you’d like the squash to be smoother, use a handheld mixer to puree it, instead of a potato masher.
- 2 pounds/905 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into rough, 1-inch/2.5 cm pieces
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed organic butter (optional)
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the squash in a large saucepan of cold, well-salted water (1 ½ teaspoons of fine sea salt per quart/950 mL) and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the garlic, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook until the squash and garlic are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the squash and garlic and return them to the saucepan. Add the thyme and butter (if using) and mash with a potato masher to the desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.