This is best used the same day.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 ounces peeled and toasted hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 3 slices lightly toasted white bread (crusts removed)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place garlic cloves, peeled and toasted hazelnuts or almonds, parsley, and bread (crusts removed) into a food processor.
- Purée for 4 to 5 minutes, until smooth. (If using a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic with about a fourth of the rest of the ingredients at a time).
- Add water, 2 tablespoons at a time, and continue mixing until picada is stiff but no longer oily.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor (or mortar) from time to time for an evenly textured mixture.
- Transfer picada to a mixing bowl and slowly work in 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil with a wooden spoon.
- Keep covered and refrigerated until needed.