Milky golden drinks spiked with turmeric are everywhere these days, beloved for their exotic flavor and sunset-colored hue. Turmeric, a rhizome popular in Indian cuisine and traditional medicine, has recently become a darling of the American wellness world, lauded for its anti-inflammatory properties, among other benefits. Here, I spliced together a turmeric latte and a mango lassi—a common Indian refreshment made from mango, milk, and yogurt—to create one summer-friendly drink. Since mango lassis naturally contain probiotics from the yogurt, I added in a bit of probiotic powder (see page 17), plus coconut milk and avocado for richness.
Excerpted from Unicorn Food: Beautiful Plant-Based Recipes to Nurture Your Inner Magical Beast by Kat Odell (Workman Publishing). Copyright © 2018. Photographs by AJ Meeker.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ice cubes, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 3 ounces frozen mango chunks
- 2 ounces frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated peeled ginger (from about 1-inch piece)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon probiotic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Combine the coconut milk, ice cubes, avocado, mango, pineapple, honey, ginger, turmeric, probiotic powder, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper, and cloves in a blender and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour into a glass with ice and serve immediately.