Skip to content
- 2 ½ pounds medium or small red beets, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon salt
- 4 cups water
- To prepare the 3% brine, stir salt into water until dissolved. Place beets in an airtight glass jar and pour the brine over beets to cover the beets completely.
- If the lid on the jar isn’t tight enough, go DIY and cover the jar with a clean plate and top with a heavy can or weight to seal the edges.
- Keep the jar in an undisturbed place that’s room temperature.
- Fermentation process lasts from 10 days to two weeks. By 10 days the beets will be fermented, but if you want a deeper brine, wait the full two weeks.
- After the fermentation process is complete, store the beets in a cool place for up to two weeks.