Orange-Patis Butter: In a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula, mix together the butter, pastis, orange zest, salt, and white pepper until well combined.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small leek (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 small bulb fennel, (1/2-inch dice) (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups fresh English peas (from 2 1/2 to 3 pounds unshucked peas)
- 6 ounces unsliced fennel salami, diced in 1/2- inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Orange-Patis Butter, softened to room temperature, plus more for serving (recipe followers)
- To make the ragoût, warm a medium cast-iron pan over medium heat on the grill (alternately, warm a skillet on the stove over medium-high heat to cook the ragoût there).
- Melt the butter, then add the leek and fennel.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek has softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and salami; season with salt and white pepper. Cook until everything is just warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Add a few dollops (one per person) of the orange-pastis butter and remove from the heat; serve hot.