To store, wrap leftover slices in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for up to a week.
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates (about 9 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup date sugar (96g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional (3.25 oz.)
- Place dates, butter, baking soda, salt, date sugar and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl set with a paddle attachment. Pour in the boiling water and beat well for 3 to 4 minutes, until well combined. Let cool for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 ½-by-4 ½-inch loaf pan.
- Add the egg, vanilla, baking powder and flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Fold in the walnuts, if using. (Batter will be thick.) Spread batter in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Loosely tent with foil and bake 20 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out bread onto rack to cool completely.