Ways to vary your macaroons
Replace 1/4 cup/25 g of the almonds with cacao nibs or coarsely chopped dried fruit, adding it to the food processor along with the rest of the almonds.
- 2 cups/160 g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup/95 g sliced raw almonds, plus more as needed
- 2/3 cup/100 g coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large organic, pasture-raised, or antibiotic-free egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F/160°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the coconut, almonds, sugar, and salt and pulse until finely chopped. Add the egg whites and pulse until the mixture is evenly moistened and will hold together when you squeeze a handful of dough. (If the mixture is too dry, add water 1 or 2 teaspoons at a time.)
- With dampened hands, roll the mixture into 1-inch/2.5 cm balls and arrange about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Slightly flatten each ball and garnish with an almond slice. Bake until the bottoms are lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.