Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is a classic treat, but unfortunately the store-bought versions are loaded with sugar. This all natural version uses much less sugar, allowing the earthy taste of hazelnuts and the rich taste of cocoa powder to shine through. Spread it on whole-grain toast for a satisfying snack without the guilt.
Calories: 120 | Fat: 10g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 160mg | Fiber: 2g | Carbohydrates: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Added Sugar: 3g
Adapted from Mom’s Sugar Solution: 150 Low-Sugar Recipes for Your Kids’ Favorite Foods, Sweet Treats, and More! by Laura Chalela Hoover, MPH, RDN. Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by James Stefiuk; Food styled by Jen Solazzo.
- 1 cup shelled hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and roast about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Rub the hazelnuts together in a paper towel to remove most of the skins.
- In a food processor, blend the nuts until they form a butter consistency. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend an additional 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula, until it’s nice and creamy. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.