To make this recipe vegan, substitute olive oil for the butter.
You can change up this very basic recipe simply and easily—just change the parsley to chopped fresh basil, cilantro, tarragon, sage, oregano, marjoram, or really any herb you like.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed organic butter
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium-size heads endive (about 1 ¼ pounds/565 g) red, white, or a combination, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
- In a very large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat, heat the butter and oil. Add the endive, cut side down, and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the endive and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the skillet in the oven and roast until the endive is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven (careful, the handle will be very hot). Sprinkle with parsley and more salt and pepper to taste and serve.