Skip to content
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 1/2 cup cubed butternut squash, peeled
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1 large head or 2 small heads of cauliflower, about 1 ½ lbs
- Garnish: parsley, paprika
- Optional: breadcrumb topping (recipe below)
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a small pot. Add diced onion and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add diced celery and carrots and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, cashews, and water — just enough to barely cover the butternut squash (approximately 2 cups) and bring to a boil. Salt the water with 1 tsp of salt.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Test by piercing with a fork- the texture should be soft enough to go through very easily.
- Transfer veggie/cashew mixture to your blender along with half of the cooking water.
- Add 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/4 tsp. garlic powder to blender.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Pour the creamy sauce over cooked pasta and/or roasted cauliflower.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, a sprinkle of paprika, or crispy breadcrumbs (optional).