The joyous holiday season can be even merrier when you give gifts that promote health and sustainability. Frosted yule logs and dulcet fruitcakes have got nothing on these selections: we’ve found something for everyone in your clean-eating clan.
1. Kale Sweatshirt ($48): Who needs Yale when you’ve got … Kale? Lovers of super greens will appreciate this ironic take on college gear from Sub_urban RIOT. (Even Beyoncé’s giving kale a shout-out; she wore the unisex raglan pullover in her recent video for “7/11”.)
2. Sky Planter ($25): Know a home cook who loves fresh herbs but doesn’t have space for herb pots in the kitchen—let alone a plot for an herb garden? These suspended planters hold soil and plants as if by magic and boast an innovative reservoir system that conserves water.
3. Matcha Starter Set ($110): Who doesn’t love a healthy caffeine buzz? With organic, unsweetened matcha and all the necessary accoutrements (glazed matcha bowl, bamboo whisk and scoop), this set will get any tea (or even coffee) lover started on a love affair with amino acid- and antioxidant-packed whole-leaf green tea.Where to find it: American Tea Room’s online store or their Beverly Hills store.
4. Affirmation Bottles ($15): Heading to a holiday gathering? These swing-top glass bottles etched with sayings like “Joy,” “Love & Gratitude” and “Abundance” make lovely hostess gifts, and they’re an eco-conscious way to serve water at the holiday table (or any day of the year). Plus, they’ll cue you to eat and drink mindfully.
Where to find it: Spoken Glass’s online store and at the following retailers: Café Gratitude (Larchmont), Presence (Sherman Oaks), Kingfisher Road (Woodland Hills), Brentwood General Store (Santa Monica), Beyond O2 (Santa Monica).
5. Holiday Vegan Cashew Torte ($35-$55): Sweets are a popular gift at the holidays, but who wants to sign off on all that processed, sugary stuff? All-organic Buttercelli Bakeshop whips up tasty vegan tortes sweetened only with xylitol. The nutty crust is filled with a coconut-cashew mixture and topped with festive orange-cranberry compote.
Where to find it: Call to pre-order from Buttercelli Bakeshop.
6. Abeego Variety Pack ($18): Holiday meals often mean abundant leftovers, so anyone on your gift list will appreciate these all-natural food wraps that extend the life of fresh foods and are environmentally conscious to boot. Each washable, reusable wrap is made of hemp and organic cotton fabric coated with beeswax, jojoba oil and tree resin.
Where to find it: Abeego’s online store.
7. M Café’s “Tis the Seaweed” Gift Bag ($50): Want to get macrobiotic under the mistletoe? Pick up a sampler of seaweed treats—including organic nori snacks (nori paper, sesame seeds and brown rice syrup) and kelp noodles—along with M Café’s organic salt scrub for hands (in flavors like cinnamon-spearmint and vanilla-cardamom), all in a reusable jute tote.
Where to find it: All three M Café locations (Melrose, Beverly Hills, Brentwood).
8. ExtraVEGANza Gift Basket ($100): Most holiday gift baskets are loaded with meat and dairy (salami, cheese and milk chocolates, anyone?), but not this vegan collection from Fancifull. Among the vegan, gluten-free delicacies are Grace & I Fruit and Nut press, Belvoir Elderflower Pressé, Gary & Kit’s nuts, and Amella caramels.