- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2-inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced, or ½ teaspoon dried
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Generous pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Place ginger and fresh turmeric (if using) in a small pan, cover with 1 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil slowly over low heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place lemon, pepper, cayenne, salt and honey in a mug (if using dried turmeric, add it here). Strain ginger-turmeric mixture into mug. Stir and serve warm, or transfer to a jar, cover and refrigerate to enjoy later.