The chic British Hemsley sisters’ newest cookbook is called Good+Simple for a few reasons, and this easy, vegan crowd-pleaser—which will add brightness and cheer to the table with its color—is obviously one of them. It’s perfect if you’ve been told to bring an appetizer to a friend’s soiree and didn’t leave much time to make one.
- 12 oz roasted butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 Tbsp water
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Cumin, paprika or olive oil to taste
- To cook squash, roast it whole at 400 degrees Farenheit for 30–40 minutes until a knife slides in easily, then scoop out the flesh (discarding the seeds).
- Place the roasted squash in a food processor or mash in a bowl for a chunkier version. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until thick in the machine or by hand.
- Add more water if you want a smoother, lighter dip. Sprinkle with ½ tsp smoked paprika and/or ground cumin if desired, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to serve. Serve with crudité, bread, or crackers.