Summer Sandwich Mega-List: 20 Easy & Delicious Recipes
June 3, 2021
by Geraldine Campbell
What do you think of when you hear the word sandwich? Lunch? Of course. Leftovers? Sure. Summer? Absolutely. Sandwiches are easy, portable, and infinitely customizable — all things I want when it’s hot outside. They’re ideal for bringing to the beach or the pool or the park, but also for dinner on the back deck or the front porch or your fire escape.
Other things sandwiches have going for them: Kids can make their own (this is big for parents who have post-quarantine cooking fatigue); clean-up is minimal; and they are a good excuse to eat bacon outside of breakfast time.
And so, without further ado, here is our mega-list of summer sandwiches.
All the Salads Sandwiches
Are you team tuna fish? Do you prefer chicken salad? Or maybe egg salad is your jam. Whatever the case, there are plenty of healthier and more exciting versions of the classics out there, just waiting for you to give them a try.
- High-Maintenance Egg Salad Sandwich from A Beautiful Plate
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich from Damn Delicious
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad Sandwich from Rhian’s Recipes
- Healthy Tuna Salad (No Mayo) from Feel Good Foodie
- Vegan “No-Tuna” Salad Sandwich from Alexandra Cooks
Veggies Sandwiches Everyone Will Want to Eat
Summer is the ideal time for a veggie sandwich because there are just so many veggies to choose them. Slice them up raw, grill them, or roast them and pair with hummus, cheese, or pesto for a tasty and colorful lunch that looks almost too pretty to eat.
- Ultimate Hummus Sandwich from A Couple Cooks
- The Ultimate Farmer’s Market Veggie Sandwich from Cotter Crunch
- The Easiest Waffled Veggie Panini from RACHLMansfield
- California Veggie Sandwich from Bon Appetit
- Avocado Veggie Sandwich from The Garden Grazer
Sandwiches with Bacon
The BLT is the classic summer sandwich and there are some who won’t eat a BLT unless it’s peak tomato season. (We get it.) But while tomatoes are seasonal, bacon is not. That includes vegan bacon, too.
- Turkey Club from Skinnytaste
- How to Make the Best BLT from Joy the Baker
- Make-Ahead Egg and Bacon Sandwiches from Gimme Delicious
- Vegan BLT Sandwich from Minimalist Baker
- Whole30 BLT Chicken Salad from Mad About Food
Fish (& seafood) sandwiches are just so summer, aren’t they? But often they are deep fried, slathered with mayo, and served on white bread for a meal that’s less than healthy. Not to worry: We’ve rounded up a few better-for-you options.