Recipe by Amy Sherman
This breakfast bowl is a great option for those who prefer something savory rather than sweet first thing in the morning. Technically quinoa isn’t a grain, but it acts and tastes like one. It’s high in protein and low in carbohydrates and will keep you going throughout the morning.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sea salt
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly then strain. Heat the water in a saucepan and when it boils, add the quinoa. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until soft, adding more water as necessary.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook over low heat until they become fragrant and begin to change color, about 2 minutes.
- Top each serving of quinoa with slices of avocado, a tablespoon of the pumpkin seeds and olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.