By Lauren Salkeld
Freshly grated Parmesan makes another great topping for this simple soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pure pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sage and sauté 1 minute. Add the pumpkin purée and chicken or vegetable stock, season to taste with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and blend the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan, place over medium heat, and warm until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among bowls, sprinkle with the pepitas and sage, and serve.