By Lauren Salkeld
Spinach or almost any hearty green can be used in place of the kale; add more crushed red pepper if you like extra spice.
Want Sustainable Weight Loss, Energy, and Optimal Health? Join Clean Plates Founder, Jared Koch, for an exclusive, live webinar that reveals the 5 secrets to transformational health. Click here to register!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti or linguini
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the pasta, chicken or vegetable stock, and pumpkin purée, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring every 30 seconds or so and adjusting the heat as needed, for 7 minutes.
- Add the kale, reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente and the sauce is thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Divide the pasta among bowls, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and serve.