August 15, 2018
This is no meal for meatheads. Cassy Joy Garcia makes Paleo eating easy with her popular blog and new cookbook, Fed & Fit. Bonus: You can serve this one as an appetizer or a main dish.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 purple onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 6 portobella mushrooms, destemmed and hollowed out
- Sliced jalapeño peppers, for garnish (optional)
For the Chorizo Spice Blend:
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the Garnish:
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, using either your hands or a spoon, mix the pork with the Chorizo Spice Blend until evenly distributed in the meat.
- Lay the portabella mushrooms in a baking dish with the hollowed-out cavities facing up. Spoon an equal amount of the chorizo stuffing into each mushroom.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the tops start to turn golden brown.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, blend the mayo, avocado, and lime juice together in a blender until smooth.
- When the mushrooms are finished cooking, drizzle the tops with the avocado mayo and garnish with the additional cilantro and jalapeño slices, if desired. Serve warm.
- If you’re bringing to a party, cook them through in advance and then pop them back in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes when you arrive.
- After the second spell in the oven, garnish and serve.