Chia jam is a much healthier way to make jam reducing the sugar content drastically. Use some ingredients you have either frozen berries or fresh blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries. You can toss all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend, if you prefer that to hand mashing. However, the jam will be less chunky this way. Feel free to add other flavors to the jam, like fresh herbs (chopped thyme, basil or mint would be nice), or a splash of vanilla extract or balsamic vinegar.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled, chopped
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chia seeds, preferably white
- In a nonaluminum bowl, using a potato masher or fork, combine berries, lemon juice, honey and salt and mash, until fruit is pulpy and partly broken down, about 30 seconds. (if it’s too tart for you, you can always add a little more honey.)
- Add in chia seeds and stir to combine. Transfer to a clean jar, cover and refrigerate. The jam will thicken as it gets colder.