Recipe from Carrie Russell, RN and Certified Holistic Health Coach.
This is probably one of my favorite meals ever! I always eat meat with lots of fresh vegetables. Make a batch of my fresh Chimichurri sauce to spoon over the vegetables and steak. You can use it as a vinaigrette for your salad too!
- 1 1-2 pound grass-fed flank steak or hanger steak
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper, plus more for asparagus
- 2 pounds of asparagus
- ½ pound of green onions (You can use whatever veggies you like; these are just our favorites)
- 1-2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring meat to room temperature at least 30 minutes to an hour before grilling. Season the meat with salt and pepper about 30 minutes before it goes on the grill.
- Preheat a grill (I prefer natural charcoal or hardwood briquettes) to medium-high heat.
- Lay the meat on the hot grill and let it sit there for 2-3 minutes, depending on the exact temperature of your grill. We like our meat medium rare but if you want it cooked more just leave it on longer. As soon as it is seared and browned and lifts easily off of the grill grates, flip the meat on the other side and let it finish cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, place it on a platter or cutting board, tent the meat with foil, and let rest for 10-15 minutes. This rest time helps the delicious juices redistribute throughout the meat and creates a tremendously juicy and tender steak.
- While the meat rests, grill your veggies: Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender and lightly charred, about 4-5 minutes.
- Cutting against the grain, slice the meat into portions and serve with asparagus.